Sitting atop Calton Hill, in the center of Edinburgh, stands an unfinished national memorial to the Scottish soldiers and sailors who lost their lives fighting during the Napoleonic Wars (1803-1815). The intention behind the structure, as inscribed, was “A Memorial of the Past and Incentive to the Future Heroism of the Men of Scotland.”
The Highland Society of Scotland began calling for such a tribute within a year following the war’s end and support for the project came from the likes of Sir Walter Scott, Lord Henry Cockburn, Lord Jeffrey Francis, among others. An Act of Parliament passed in July 1822, forming the Royal Association of Contributors to the National Monument of Scotland and a month later a six-ton foundation stone was laid.
The National Monument of Scotland was designed between 1823-1826, and was modeled after the Parthenon, located in Athens, Greece. Construction began in 1826 and, due to lack of funds, was halted, though not nearly completed, in 1829. There have been several attempts and proposals to bring the project to completion but none have acquired the necessary financial nor local support that would be required.
Regardless, it does offer the photographer a “photo op,” regardless of how it is viewed.
Over For Now.
Main Street One